Hello, welcome to the first step of starting a blog. I’m very happy to be assisting you through the process, the first step to start a blog is to choose your blog Niche and name your blog.
What is a Blog Niche?
Now you may be wondering what is a blog Niche. A Blog Niche is a specific topic of interest that you will write about or create other content related to that topic. Having a Niche is very Important because it helps you target specific audience who are interested in the same topic as you are.
You should be choosing your niche very carefully because it’s what your whole blog is about, it should be something that you are very much passionate about and would love to write about it.
A niche doesn’t have to be ONE specific topic. It can be a group of topics that are interlinked to each other. You can choose one main topic for your niche, and several smaller topics. The small topics are what we call Micro Niche
How to choose your Niche?
Choosing your niche is very important just as I explained earlier. It needs to be something you love, but it also needs to be something that the readers love. You can’t write about a thing that you love, but others don’t show any interest in it. In this way you’ll never to able to attract any readers.
Before choosing your niche, ask yourself these questions:
- Am I passionate about this topic? Ask yourself if you love this topic, are you really interested in writing about this topic? This will be your driving force and motivation to always keep writing and not get bored of what you write.
- Do I have enough knowledge about this blog niche? Ask yourself if you have enough knowledge about what you want to write about, because it’s something you have to do long term. You need to be sure that you have enough knowledge and ideas that you want to share with the world.
- Will this topic provide value to the people? Your topic should help solve other people’s problems. It should provide value to your audience. It should be helpful, useful and last but not the least, interesting!
- Will anyone be interested in reading this topic? Make sure it’s not a topic that only you love. You need audience who are also interested in what you write about. Choose a niche that has a good amount of audience.
I have written a list of 100 profitable blog niches that might help you figure out your niche and micro niche.
You can read it here: 100 profitable blog niche ideas
- Will my content be ever green? Not having ever green content might suit you if you were launching a new channel, but not when it comes to blogging. In blogging, you need to write about something that people will find useful for many years to come. It shouldn’t be something that they love one day and forget the other. Your content should be readable and useful forever, it should be evergreen.
Most Profitable and Popular Blog niches
If you’re still unsure about what is a good paying and popular blog niche, you might want to take a look at these five blog niches that are very popular right now and will be for years to come.
- Personal finance: including issues like debt, passive income, making money online.
- Health and lifestyle: including weight loss, mental health, fashion and lifestyle.
- Travel : including travelling hacks, destinations, sharing your views and travel vlogs are very in right now.
- Self-improvement: this can include a wide range of audience, from school to collegestudents, parenting tips, job tips.
How to name your Blog
Choosing your blog name carefully is very important, it can be either a very simple one, for example: your name. Or it can tell and hint about your niche, for example: ayeshadesign. My blog name is a combination of my name + niche. It gives an idea about my content and my work. Remember the best blog names are unique, relevant to the blog’s content and easy to remember.
However, whenever you come up with a blog name. Make sure that it’s an available domain and it’s not taken on any other platforms (facebook, instagram, pinterest). In this way you can maintain one username all across the web and your audience can find you much easily on all the platforms.
Brainstorming a unique blog name
- Use your own name: you can use your own name as your blog name. It is very simple and easy way to name your blog.
- Incorporate you blog’s niche: for example, if you’re going for a fitness blog, you can include the terms “strong”, “healthy” and “fit” in your blog name.
- Incorporate your target audience: for example, if you’re going to be a fashion blog but will focus mainly on plus-sized fashion. You can come up with something like “curvy women style”.
- Check up your competitors blog names: go through the web and look at your competitors blogs. See what their blog name is and get inspiration from that.
- Use online blog name generators: If you still have difficulty coming up with a unique blog name, you can always use an online blog name generator to give you an idea.
Things to keep in mind while naming your blog
There’s a few things you should keep in mind when you have chosen your blog name. Many new bloggers make mistakes while naming their blog, but here are a few things that you should never make a mistake about:
- Make sure your blog name is short and easy to pronounce
- Make sure it can be understood and remembered easily
- Check available site domains
- Check different social media for availability of the name
- Make sure no one has a part of your blog name trademarked already
Let me know what you think about this first step to start a blog!? Let me know in the comments if it helped you 🙂 You can also subscribe to receive the latest notifications of new blog posts!